Warm with spices, this date & cranberry tea cake is baked with generous amounts of True Cinnamon & Nutmeg & then made luxuriant with caramelised cacao nibs to perfectly balance a sweet cake with its bitter(y) crunch!
~ Gather Your Ingredients ~
250 g Self-raising Flour
|150 g Sugar|
|1 tsp Salt|
|125 g Unsalted Butter|
|3 Kandy ‘Heirloom’ Cinnamon quill [Add to cart]|
|1/2 Rhun ‘Sundried’ Nutmeg [Add to cart]|
|200 g Pitted Dates|
|50 g Cranberry|
|50 g Ashanti ‘Raw’ Cacao Nibs [Add to cart]|
|3-4 tbsp Extra Sugar For Caramelising The Nibs|
|1 tsp Baking Soda|
~ Preparation Instructions ~
1. Soak the dates in 1.5 cups of hot water and a teaspoon of baking soda, then boil until the dates are soft and smooth. Set aside.
2. Beat sugar & butter together, then gradually add the eggs and beat the wet ingredients well.
3. Grate half a nutmeg. Break the cinnamon quills into small pieces and grind in a spice grinder. Add the ground spices to the flour and give it a mix with a spoon.
4. Add the prepared dates and cranberries to the wet mixture & it mix well.
5. Add the flour mixed with spices to the wet mixture & mix all ingredients.
6. Grease a round cake pan, line base and sides with baking paper, then pour the mixture.
7. Bake for 30-35 mins in a preheated oven at 170°C.
8. Prepare for the caramelised cacao nibs in the meantime. Add sugar in a pan and keep stirring in medium heat until caramelised and golden brown in colour. Add the cacao nibs and stir until fully blended together.
9. Allow the cake to cool. Then sprinkle the caramelised cacao nibs on top of the cake. Pour over some salted caramel on top as desired.
It is not only a perfect accompaniment to your afternoon tea, but also makes for a warm after dinner desert that can also be served hot with vanilla ice~cream, whipped cream or custard. Bon Appétit!