When there are no rules to follow in the kitchen and when instinct takes over, one experiences a new discovery every time. The amusing story of the Tatin sisters is a perfect example of how such discoveries are at the heart of a good cuisine. This non-caramelised apple tart recipe is unlike the French Classic Tarte Tatin where we let our Kandy ‘Heirloom’ Cinnamon & the apples do the wonders - A no sugar recipe!
~ Gather Your Ingredients ~
2 cups All Purpose Flour
|1/2 cup Whole-wheat Flour|
|1 tsp Salt|
|4 tbsp Unsalted Butter|
|2 Kandy ‘Heirloom’ Cinnamon quill [Add to cart]|
|1 cup Ice-cold Water|
|4 Granny Smith Apples|
~ Preparation Instructions ~
1. Slice the apples in the desired thickness and keep it aside.
2. To prepare the dough, sift the all-purpose and the whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl, add salt and mix the dry ingredients together. Then add the butter and mix the dough until crumbly. Add ice-cold water gradually as you knead the dough together.
3. While you pre-heat the oven, roll the dough and spread on to the tart tin (12-inch tin used here). Fit the dough around the tin, press the sides gently and cut out the extras on the top. Place the sliced apples and layer them in a circular form (or in any form as you please).
4. Take 2 Cinnamon quill, break into small pieces and grind it in a spice mill or in a grinder. Sprinkle the freshly powdered cinnamon on the tart.
5. Put it in the oven at 250°C and bake for 40 mins.
6. Let it cool & slice it as you please!
We personally love to pair a warm slice of tart with a scoop of ice-cream or crème fraîche. Bon Appétit!