This cocktail is very reminiscent of winter sunshine. However, it is the perfect drink to sip on a hot summer night or to beat harmattan blues for those who’re in this part of the world. The sweet & smooth notes of Madagascar vanilla beans rounds off the sharp tart edges of grapefruit so wonderfully well. When served on a lemon zest sugar rimmed glass, it brightens up any day.
~ Gather Your Ingredients ~
|1 freshly squeezed ruby red (pink) grapefruit (serves 1)
|1 shot homemade vanilla bean infused vodka
|1/2 lemon, zested & juiced
|Few cubes of ice (or as desired)
|1/2 Andapa Vanilla Bean (sliced) for garnish
|TO RIM THE GLASS
|1 tbsp white sugar
|Zest of 1 lemon
~ Preparation Instructions ~
1. Slice the grapefruit into half. Using a hand juicer or citrus reamer, extract the juice and then strain if required.
2. The vanilla infused vodka should be homemade as well as made beforehand. No commercially produced vanilla flavoured vodka that has more of cream of soda rather than real vanilla. You would need 2 vanilla beans for every 1 cup of vodka. Cut the vanilla beans into small pieces to ensure the vanilla beans are submerged in the vodka and let it infuse for a few days, shaking every once in a while. Alternately, cut 1/2 vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape the seeds and add it to the grapefruit juice and let it sit for at least 1 hour to let the flavours blend.
3. Zest the lemon using a fine grater. In a small saucer, mix the zest with white sugar. Then juice half the lemon.
4. In a cocktail shaker add the vanilla infused vodka to the grapefruit juice. Add lemon juice and some ice. Ensuring the lids are tightly closed, vigorously shake for a minute.
5. Wet the rims of a cocktail glass with a a lemon or grapefruit wedge. Invert the glass into the saucer of lemon zest and sugar, pressing slightly so the rims are lightly coated.
6. Strain the cocktail into the prepared glass and garnish with a whole slice of grapefruit and vanilla bean.
Are you already dreaming about your next brunch date? Well, you should!