The star ingredient in this healthy & hearty tea cake ~ our Lakadong Turmeric goes oh so perfectly well and shines the brightest with local green lemon zest! It is tart & so well balanced on sugar, it is fluffy yet moist. Chef Kobi Brown shares this stunningly simple recipe that can be served as is or with turmeric infused lemon syrup along with candied lemons for that perfect after meal sweet something.
~ Gather Your Ingredients ~
|FOR THE CAKE|
|190 g Self-raising Flour|
|210 g Sugar|
|1 tsp Salt|
|12 g Baking Powder (if using all-purpose flour)|
|35 g Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 tsp Lakadong ‘Heirloom’ Turmeric [Add to cart]|
|175 g Milk|
|2 Large Green Lemons (for the zest)|
|LEMON & TURMERIC INFUSED SYRUP|
|2 Large Green Lemons (can use the same lemons used for the zest)|
|1/2 tsp Lakadong Turmeric|
|100 g Sugar|
|100 g Water|
|1 tsp Sugar|
|1 tbsp Lemon & Turmeric Infused Syrup|
~ Preparation Instructions ~
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C as you prepare for the cake batter.
2. Whisk together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the olive oil and beat the wet ingredients well.
3. Now prepare the dry ingredients. Add turmeric and baking powder (if using all-purpose flour) to the flour, then sieve the flour and add in the wet ingredients.
4. Gently fold the mixture and combine well with a spatula and make sure there are no floury dry spots on the sides or bottom of the bowl.
5. Add the milk gradually and combine well. Then zest 2 green lemons and add it to the batter.
6. Ready a baking tray ~ grease it with butter or oil and then sprinkle some flour on the surface. Pour the batter and bake it for 35 minutes at 160°C, then reduce the heat to 110°C and bake for another 10 minutes.
7. Allow the cake to cool. Then make small incisions on the top of the cake so the syrup gets absorbed well.
8. Place the candied lemons on top and dust some powdered sugar if in the mood.
LEMON & TURMERIC INFUSED SYRUP
1. Stir together water, sugar and turmeric in a saucepan in medium heat. Bring it to simmer and reduce the syrup by half.
2. Add fresh lemon juice at this stage, this prevents the lemon juice to evaporate when heated. Warm slightly and the syrup is ready. Keep aside and let it cool.
1. Slice 1 lemon. Heat a pan on medium heat, add sugar and use few tablespoons of the syrup instead of water, and let it caramelise.
2. Add the sliced fresh lemons and coat the caramelised sugar well. Turn the lemon slices to evenly coat both sides. Allow the lemons to caramelise well.
Join our Turmeric & Lemon Tea Cake Club by sharing your bakes and by using the hashtag #LakadongTurmericCandiedLemonCake