Horchata’s light and refreshing taste, along with the delightfully rich flavours of True Cinnamon and Vanilla Bean makes this ice-cold rice drink a go-to beverage that every Mexicans adore. Enjoy the drink by itself or pair it with spicy dishes, where the creaminess of Horchata works as a palette cleanser & cools off the burn of a spicy dish. Sharon shares her recipe, and she can sip a glass of Horchata for breakfast, lunch or even at dinner time by the way!
~ Gather Your Ingredients ~
|2 cup Rice (long-grained white rice)|
|3 Kandy Cinnamon Quills [Add to cart]
|1 Andapa Vanilla Bean [Add to cart]|
|4 cup Milk|
|4 cup Water (to soak the rice)|
|Sugar or any other sweetener (you typically lightly sweeten the drink)|
~ Preparation Instructions ~
1. Rinse the rice well and soak it in water, about double the measurement of rice. Break the cinnamon quills into small pieces and add it to the rice. Set aside overnight or for a minimum of 7-8 hours. It is important to soak the rice with the cinnamon, so that the flavours infuse well and the rice is soft to be blended easily.
2. Add the soaked rice and cinnamon in a blender. Blend it well until you get a smooth consistency.
3. Pour the liquid over a fine-mesh sieve, press the solids gently to ensure enough of the rice water is strained, then discard the solids.
4. Scrape out the vanilla from the bean and add it to the rice milk. Add milk & sugar and then stir all ingredients together until combined.
5. Fill up a glass with ice cubes and pour the Horchata. Sprinkle some powdered true cinnamon on top. In no time you’d ask for another serving.
Alternately, you might also want to blend all the ingredients together, leave it overnight and strain the mixture the next day. A super easy recipe that can be made either way.